The 2020 Election is happening on Tuesday, November 3rd of this year!
This year the presidential election is critical for us, as a profession and individuals living in the community. This election has potential consequences for our profession as well as for the clients and communities we serve. We know the importance of this election, including how important each vote is.
As Social Workers, established and upcoming, exercising our right to vote is one of the most powerful ways that we can advocate for our profession’s mission and vision. We are agents of change and this election offers opportunities for us to engage in action. In our Code of Ethics it states in 6.02 Public Participation, that Social Workers should facilitate informed participation by the public in shaping social policies and institutions.
How to engage in the 2020 elections:
- Register to vote. Visit our link below to learn more about how to register to vote.
- Request your absentee ballot. Visit out link below to learn more about requesting your ballot.
- Learn about what’s on your ballot and your candidates by visiting myvote.wi.gov
- Consider becoming a poll worker during the election by visiting powertothepolls.org, you can visit myvote.wi.gov/en-us/PollWorker to sign up to become a poll worker. Visit elections.wi.gov for information on requirements to become a poll worker.
- View and share our video below on How to Fill Out Your Absentee Ballot
Wisconsin is still looking for Poll Observers (AKA Poll Watchers)! Click here to volunteer and sign up
- If you are available for poll observing during Wisconsin’s Early Voting period (October 20 – November 1), please also sign up for shifts based on your preferred location here below. This is in addition to filling out the form above.
Milwaukee County: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/328573/
Racine County: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/328584/
Kenosha County: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/328586/
Waukesha County: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/328602/
Walworth County: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/328614/
Rock County: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/330482/
Dane County: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/328580/
Sheboygan & Manitowoc Counties: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/328597/
Brown County: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/328591/
Outagamie County: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/328596/
Ozaukee County: https://www.mobilize.us/dpw/event/330486/
Important dates to remember for the 2020 Elections
- Voter registration deadlines:
- Online and by mail: October 14, 2020
- In person at your municipal clerk’s office: October 30, 2020
- In person at the your polling location: November 3, 2020
- Absentee Ballot deadlines
- Requesting your absentee ballot: October 29, 2020 (However, due to the increase in absentee ballot requests and USPS slowed down, we encourage that you request your Absentee Ballot ASAP and mail it back at least 2 weeks prior to the election) (We encourage you to utilize Absentee Ballot Drop Boxes, if available. For information on drop boxes, contact your municipal clerk by visiting myvote.wi.gov)
- Deadline to submit absentee ballot: November 3, 2020
- Early voting in Wisconsin takes place between October 20, 2020 and November 1, 2020. Please check with your municipal clerk for hours of operation.
Absentee Ballot Dropbox Location and Early Voting Information: www.iwillvote.com/locate
For questions or inquiries regarding voter registration and information, please contact Camila Barrera, Political Organizer at firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional resources from Voting is Social Work Campaign please visit their website at VotingIsSocialWork.org